Saturday, September 7, 2013

Tokyo Olympics 2020



The first thing I found out when I woke this morning was that Tokyo had won its bid to host the 2020 Olympics.  I'm not sure why but I was a little surprised; maybe it's because it seems like people have been trying for so long to bring the event here.  Some people, I should say.  It was about eight or so years ago that I heard the mayor was campaigning hard for it to happen.

To tell the truth, during the months leading up to this I hardly heard people talk about it.  I had one somewhat lengthy discussion with one of my fellow teachers at work, and he felt that most Japanese people were indifferent to the Olympic bid.  (He's from the UK.)  We talked with a couple of our Japanese colleagues, and they expressed some mild hopes that 2020 would happen for the city.

So after learning the news, I had a second small surprise; my Facebook newsfeed shows almost nothing but shouts of joy over this morning's announcement.  Here are a handful:

  • YAAY!! 2020 Olympics in Tokyo!! Now all of u have to visit me in Tokyo!XD
  • Tokyo Olympic in 2020!!!!:))) feeling excited.
  • YAYYY!!! YESYESYES !!!! TOKYO OLYMPICS 2020!!! I KNEW IT!!
    AND IT WILL BE ME TO SING AT THE OPENING CEREMONY!
  • Tokyo won the Olympics in 2020?? I can't imagine Tokyo will be more crowded than it already is...
  • TOKYO 2020!!!:D #summerolympics
  • Tokyo Olympics 2020 babyyy♡
  • Tokyo Olympic 2020:)
  • Congrats Tokyo!!!!! オリンピックを観に行くわー!てかその時の私はどこにいるかしら(笑)有明のテニスセンター新しくなるみたいんで楽しみ!
  • TOKYO Olympic 2020!!! Yay!!!
  • I'm proud of TOKYO!!! TOKYO 2020おめでとうございます!!!
  • Tokyo Olympic 2020. so who is gonna come visit me
  • Congrats JAPAN!
  • Yes!!!
  • オリンピック、東京開催決定!
    本当に嬉しい・・・本当に嬉しい!
    滝川クリステルの美貌のおかげもあるでしょう!!!!!!!!!ありがとうジャパーン☆ おめでとジャパーン☆
    開催時は何らかの形で関わりたいなー!
  • Tokyo will be hosting the Olympics in 2020 but I'm not too keen on the idea... Tteiuka thinking that far ahead makes me a bit depressed. I will be 38 and my parents will be 75 and 67!!!
  • Tokyo 2020!!!! Yaaaaaaaaay! Woohooo!!
  • Olympic city, cool!
  • Can't believe, the Olympic will be held here!? Hope it willl do good for many people. Btw, my friends in foreign countries, are able to come here hahaha
  • Tokyo Olympic:)))
----------------------------------------

I really didn't know that so many of my friends cared. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment