Friday, June 21, 2013

a different kind of ramen

Man, I've never had anything like this before.  A ramen place near Tokyo Dome has this tonkotsu (pork bone based broth) ramen that is more like a stew, it's so thick.  The place is called Hyouri Ramen.  To get there, take the train to Suidobashi Station (JR Sobu line), take the East exit, turn right after coming out the turnstiles, and then turn right again when you reach the first corner/crosswalk.  (Don't cross the street.)  Walk straight for a few seconds and you'll see this on your right-hand side:



We had the "Ninkimono No.1," or the most popular dish.  Not because it's the most popular, but because my brother has been to this place many, many times--his Japanese school is close by--and this is his favorite choice.  It was my first time, so I followed his lead.
 




 As you can see, it's topped off with tonkatsu (pork cutlet, not to be confused with the earlier mentioned tonkotsu) a bit of cabbage, and bean sprouts.  If you look closely at the broth you might be able to see the grated garlic.

Rarely am I unable to finish a bowl or plate of something in Japan, its portion sizes being so much smaller than typical American portions.  But something about this one filled me up, and I left a few noodles behind.  If I had to pick one work to describe this bowl of noodles, it would be hearty.  It was also spicy, to a degree to which most ramen generally isn't.  

The manager seemed like a nice guy.  I think his name is Jun.  The guy below isn't him, but another customer.  In the framed pictures is the former manager, a guy who also ran another quite popular ramen chain called Taishoken.  

"Ninkimono No.1" cost 980 yen, or about $10.  


No comments:

Post a Comment